Commercial products of cleaning of carpets can be expensive and may contain harsh chemicals. If you want to save money or just be greener, you can clean your carpets with a staple of the home, baking soda. This has absorption properties, which absorbs as much as odors stains without rubbing too. Its deodorant skills can be especially useful if your pet odors in carpets. For the baking soda working effectively as a carpet cleaner, you must use it properly.
- Cover the carpet with a light even coat of baking soda. Apply baking soda in a thicker layer on the dirty areas.
- Let the baking soda remain still in place for one hour or overnight. Vacuum the entire surface of the carpet and be sure to remove all traces of sodium bicarbonate.
- Examine the carpet to see if there are spots. If there are stains on the carpet, pour 1 cup of warm water in a small bucket or container. Add 2 tablespoons of mild liquid detergent to the water.
- Dip a sponge in the soapy water. Dry sponge gently on any carpet stain until it absorbs the liquid and stains disappear.
- Dampen a white cloth with warm water. Gently rub the stained areas of the carpet to rinse the persistent detergent. Let the carpet dry.
Tips & Warnings
- Sodium bicarbonate tends to work more effectively on wet or greasy stains from the carpet.
- Never rub strong stains or you could permanently damage the fibers. Excess pressure can also cause stains to penetrate more into the carpet.